Best Sun Peaks Winter Activities - Skiers & Non-Skiers
Many great Sun Peaks Winter activities for everyone to enjoy
Although we love all seasons here, Sun Peaks winter activities are what Sun Peaks Resort is famous for!
And with the earlier Sun Peaks improvements to west Mt. Morrissey and the Gil’s on Tod Mountain, Sun Peaks has now become the second biggest ski resort in Canada in terms of skiable terrain, and there are many winter activities at Sun Peaks for skiers and non-skiers.
2018 Expansion Plans also brought a new chairlift (The Orient) and a couple of new runs to join the new lift with existing runs, more chairs (even shorter lineups) on the Sundance Express, more development, newly renovated rooms at the Sun Peaks Grand, and ongoing improvements. And the 2019/20 Sun Peaks improvements include a new Crystal Chair (replacing the 40 year old Crystal chair) that will increase capacity and terminate at the Top of the World.
Even though there are now over 4,270 acres of skiable terrain, 2000+ hours of sunshine, 337” of average annual snowfall (featuring Okanagan champagne powder), 137 trails (and growing) 3 unique mountains to ski and snowboard and minimal line-ups even during peak season, you don’t have to be an alpine skier to love it here!
Sun Peaks also offers fantastic Nordic skiing opportunities, with over 37 kilometers (23 miles) of wonderfully groomed and track set runs, and a Nordic Centre hut where you can warm up, gear up, arrange rentals, or just get yourself ready to enjoy the Sun Peaks winter activities experience
Check out our winter driving to Sun Peaks tips for your safety and always be prepared for extreme winter driving conditions.
The 2021/22 Sun Peaks ski season is scheduled to open on November 20th, 2021 and there are some important COVID-related ski season changes you need to be aware of.
Sun Peaks has won awards for how family friendly it is, and there are Sun Peaks winter activities to suit all age levels and athletic abilities. There are plenty of low-cost or free Sun Peaks activities as well.
And the best part is – they are all so close together that you can typically park your car once you arrive and not need it again until you leave.
With so many ski-in/ski-out hotels, condos, chalets and owner vacation rental properties, including our Best Sun Peaks vacation condo in the popular Stone’s Throw development and our family-friendly Trapper's Landing Townhouse, there are also many great Sun Peaks accommodation options as well.
If you need quality equipment rentals, check out our Sun Peaks Equipment Rentals page. You can save 10% on your rental ski or board equipment when you mention BestSunPeaks at the time of booking.
And you can save up to 40% on your Sun Peaks lift passes and equipment rental packages by booking online before you arrive.
Just a few of the many Best Sun Peaks winter activities include:
Sun Peaks Guided Winter Activities and Tours (subject to COVID changes)
Sun Peaks winter sleigh rides
- Dog sled tours – now you’re barking up the right tree and our guests love this Sun Peaks winter activity!
- Cat Trax Groomer Rides – groovy and cool!
- Winery tours or craft beer tours, with pickup/return from Sun Peaks (depends on availability)
Sun Peaks Winter Sports Activities (subject to COVID changes)
Nancy Brown looking like Nancy Greene
Snowshoeing at Sun Peaks
Sun Peaks Lessons - Enhance your skills with these other Best Sun Peaks Winter Activities and Lessons (subject to COVID-19 changes)
- General ski lessons for all abilities – group or private - highly recommended of the Sun Peaks winter activities.
- Gil's Glades Tours- learn where the best stashes of powder are and how to safely ski the gladed Gil's off-piste terrain.
- All Mountain Skills Camp which focuses on off-piste safety and awareness of mountain hazards, including terrain assessment, hazard analysis, overnight survival, as well as companion rescue with transceiver, probe, and shovel techniques. Our kids both thought this course was AWESOME!
- Beyond the Groomers Camp allows you to explore over 500 acres of expanded terrain (with steeps, glades, moguls, and exceptional powder skiing) in this guided ski improvement camp with their top professional instructor.
- Helicat Warm Up Camp which allows skiers to properly warm-up and fine tune their powder skiing technique in the legendary Gil's terrain while developing the necessary backcountry skills prior to enjoying a spectacular nearby Helicopter or Cat skiing vacation. Learn or be reminded about avalanche awareness, companion rescue, tree wells and backcountry hazard recognition with this wonderful new course and Sun Peaks winter activity.
- Fresh Tracks Private Lessons – learn in the freshest of POW
Click to watch this Best Sun Peaks Winter Acvitivites video - Caution - may cause uncontrollable drooling!
Other Sun Peaks Winter Activities
- Sun Peaks mobile massage or other Sun Peaks spa services
- First Tracks ski and breakfast - be the first tracks in the POW!
- Free mountain tours from the Sun Peaks Ski Hosts
- Fondue dinner and nighttime descent - unique and we highly recommend trying it!
- Kid’s Craft Nights – Fun on Wednesdays
- Family Fun Dual Races – fun Sun Peaks winter activity for all levels on Saturday nights
- Family Fun Skating Night – Bonfires, games, and more. Kids 12 and under free with an adult
Day Trip From Sun Peaks to Wells Gray & Helmcken Falls
Fire & Ice - volcanoes and immense sheets of ice created Wells Gray Provincial Park and it is now a beautiful wilderness area with over 40 named waterfalls to view, including the world famouns Helmcken Falls pictured here.
The drive to Clearwater from Sun Peaks along the river is very scenic, and the park itself offers many lakes, hikes and other wilderness activities, and the highway is kept clear all winter long.
Many of the falls are located very near to the road which is also kept clear, and the freezing spray makes the waterfalls even more magnificent with incredible ice cones visible on some of the falls.
Enjoy the waterfalls and then head back to your comfortable accommodation in the beautiful resort of Sun Peaks and enjoy the other winter activities that are available for guests, or just hop in your private hot tub and relax after a cool winter visit to Wells Gray Provincial Park.
Sun Peaks Winter Activities Schedule (2020/21) Ski Season
2020/21 activites still to be determined based on the Covid situation.
- November 9, 2018 “Get Stoked” film premiere with proceeds going to the local Bluebird Day Fund
- November 11, 2018 - Sun Peaks Rotary Club Ski Swap
- November 17 Sun Peaks Annual Firefighters Charity Gala
- November 17 Sun Peaks 2018/19 ski season begins
- November 17 Sun Peaks Apres & Ales events
- December 3 High 5 Day where $5 and a non-perishable food donation gets you an alpine or Nordic day pass
- December 7-9 Savour The Sun Wine Festival (Sun Peaks and Oliver/Osoyoos wines)
- December 8-9 Glenn Bond Nordic Ski Camp
- December 13-16 Sun Peaks Christmas Holiday Kickoff Weekend
- December 21 Start of the Sun Peaks Friday Race Series; Family fun races happening most Fridays
- December 22-24 Sun Peaks Christmas Family Fun activities with Santa
- December 23-24 Christmas Carols with Nancy Greene
- December 31 Sun Peaks New Year’s Eve Celebrations and events – 6 til 8:30 pm
- January 4, 2019 Friday Family Race Series
- January 5-6 Glenn Bond Nordic Ski Camp
- January 10-13 Teck Provincial Open Series U13+
- January 11 - Friday Family Race Series
- January 12 Sun Peaks Family Cup Alpine Race
- January 11-20 Sun Peaks 21st Annual Okanagan Wine Festival – very popular event!
- January 11 Wine Crawl – part of the Sun Peaks 21st Annual Okanagan Wine Festival
- February 8 Friday Race Series (on most Fridays)
- February 10 Party in the Park (Terrain Park - sponsored by Oronge Boardshop)
- February 15 Friday Race Series
- February 22 Friday Race Series
- March 1 Friday Race Series
- March1-3 Peak Pride Weekend
- March 9 -10 Bluebird Banked Slalom Events
- March 9-19 Sun Peaks Demo Days
- March 15 Friday Race Series
- March 16-17 Sun Peaks Nordic Festival
- March 22-23 Hub International Nancy Green Festival
- March 31 Garden Rail Jam – Oronge Boardshop Event
- April 5-7 Sun Peaks 3rd Annual Coors Light Snowbombing Canada Events
- April 13-14 Annual Tod Mountain Days Spring Festivities
- April 14th End of the Sun Peaks 2018/19 Ski Season
- April 19-21 Sun Peaks Snowmobile Hill Climb
- April 21 Easter Extravaganza Festivities
For more details, see the Sun Peaks Winter Calendar
- Prepare for spring activities, summer activities and fall activities
Contact us to share your favorite Sun Peaks Winter Activity, or complete and submit the form below.
Return to our Stone's Throw condo page
Return to our Trapper's Landing Townhouse page
Return to Sun Peaks Vacation Rentals By Owners (save on winter accommodation)
Return to Sun Peaks Equipment Rentals
Return to Best Sun Peaks Skiing and Snowboarding
Return to Best Sun Peaks Fall activities
Return to Best Sun Peaks Home page